- October 9, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: VIDA Challenges
VIDA challenge case description
Meat processing industry, from the slaughterhouse to the consumers, need to measure, analyse and improve all steps towards a resource-efficient process. Many factors need to be taken into account towards a successful and sustainable business, such as:
- water management;
- minimisation of greenhouse gas emissions;
- minimisation of offensive odours and dust;
- efficient use of other resources such as fuel;
- good stock management, taking animal welfare into consideration;
- responsible use of chemicals;
- good monitoring and recording systems which gather useful information about the enterprise and allow assessment of financial and environmental sustainability;
- good community relationships and perceptions.
- air management
Innovation areas to address resource efficiency challenges
Nutrients valorisation; energy efficiency in cooling and heating; water efficiency–monitoring and water footprint; organic pollutants degradation; zero-toxic residues usage; I4.0 solutions optimizing the overall process including dosing, artificial intelligence, optimized monitoring and control of the process parameters and material flow and quality control.
Existing innovative solutions
Some of the identified innovative solutions to approach this challenge were presented via VIDA Webinars. See all the presentations here:
Demonstration Vouchers funded by VIDA
None, up to date.
Enlisted VIDA Challenges and cases present the examples and not an exhaustive list. Some additional resource efficiency challenges in the agri-food sector may be also considered eligible.